Under Construction

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Building Knowledge Is My Business

The original intent of this blog was to track my journey of renovating, starting a business, and beginning a family.  I have posted several times about the first and third, but barely touched on what type of business I am doing.  When J and I moved here from the sunshine state I was teaching 4th grade and had decided that my passion was definitely with the younger age group, namely preschool and kindergarten.  I discovered that due to a series of local budget cuts preschool was getting the proverbial boot to cover the state wide switch to all day kindergarten.  This essentially left me with two options: complete my master's degree so my out of state license would be transferable or use my business savvy and years of experience to start my own preschool.  While I still intend to complete my Master's degree I could not do so in the 6 months between us deciding to move and actually packing up and trekking north across the Mason Dixie line so beginning a business it was!

The house when we purchased it.

The only reason I can think of as to why we decided to renovate is because we're insane, but in the meantime I needed to generate some income and build a reputation so that when the doors of my pre-k studio open I will have an established foundation.  This is the part that makes me really crazy!  Not only did we make the choice to stay with my parents during this renovation process, but I also work with my mom.  She's had an in-home daycare since I was 8 years old and working with her allowed me a rent free space and the luxury of working under somebody else's license while I learned the ropes.

The walk out basement my mom uses for her daycare.
 
It hasn't always been easy because we are essentially running two different businesses under one roof, but the payoff has exceeded my expectations.  There have been difficult moments like 90 degree days with only a window AC unit, a flooded basement, and the addition of a Taj Mahal size dog crate in an already tight space thanks to our Million Dollar Puggle. In the end though I was able to build up a solid client base and because I originally started out with three kids my mom's kids provided them with valuable social interaction during our daily free play.

Our first school year has been over since last month and I am thankful for my lax schedule this summer as we move toward the final push to complete our house.  With my experience in a Core Knowledge School I did not think twice about ordering and adhering to their curriculum and with a plethora of ideas on Pinterest it was a blast planning my thematic units each week.  I am looking forward to expanding my business and becoming a contributor in the community but when I look back I know I will always have a soft spot in my heart for this first year and the kids that I was lucky enough to have as my students!
My first three Preschool kids!  So excited two will be here in the fall, but sad to lose one to Kindergarten.

No comments:

Post a Comment