Under Construction

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Milk and Cookies Gender Reveal

Last Sunday was our Gender Reveal Party.  After hours of Pinterest and YouTube I convinced J that a Milk and Cookies theme was the way to go.  That was the easy part!  The hard sell was convincing him to wait almost two full weeks after our ultrasound to find out if we were having a boy or a girl!  We had our ultrasound on Tuesday, March 18th and the big reveal wasn't until Sunday, March 30th.  

After watching first time parents reactions on YouTube, I knew it was going to be a priceless moment to share with our close family and friends.  I also knew that J's ability to keep a secret is nil, so I didn't want to risk it leaking before the big party.  So for this reason the sealed envelope was squirreled away the moment we arrived home so there would be no temptation to peak.  The ultrasound pictures were from the waist up and the ultrasound tech was so quick that we couldn't tell either way, though my gut said boy and J was convinced we were having a girl.
According to the Old Wives Tales, we were split 50/50 on the gender as well, and though most of our family members voted boy, most friends went with girl as their guess.  We had each guest wear their vote with felt mustaches for boy and colorful flowers for girl.  A few people insisted on me pulling my dress tight against my belly to make their decision, but most people had a solid idea before they even read the chalkboard.

Unfortunately the only person to get pictures of the Onesie Game was my mom who rolls old school with a digital camera and she hasn't sent me the pics yet, so I'll do my best to describe it.  Each guest brought a gender neutral onesie that described their personality.  These were strung up on a clothesline and labeled alphabetically.  Each guest was then assigned a number and on their quiz sheet they were asked to try to match up each onesie with the guest they thought it best described.  We ended up with an amazing collection of onesies and people surprised us with their creativity!  
After putting J through the stress of hosting back to back events this fall for our Open House then Thanksgiving, I decided to cut us both some slack and have the party at a local bakery.  The owners graciously sectioned off the back part for us and we ordered freshly baked cookies, farm fresh milk from a local dairy farm, and an assortment of coffee flavors from a local supplier.  Since the party was at 2 PM this was a perfect snack and several of our guests even stayed after to join us for an early dinner because the food is too tasty to pass up!

That solid white milk vessel pictured dead center in the galvanized tub held the big news!  When we arrived at the bakery we handed off the sealed envelope to the staff and they secretly filled it with milk.  The instructions were chocolate milk for a boy or strawberry milk for a girl.  The "Do Not Touch" sign was placed on the vessel so the result would not be accidentally/purposely revealed ahead of time.  

After enjoying catching up with guests, casting votes, matching up onesies, and indulging our taste buds, it was time to reveal the results.  J held the clear mason jar up for all our guests to see and I was the one to open the vessel and pour the milk into the jar.  We were both incredibly nervous, and because J is a full 8 inches taller than I am, he gasped when I opened the top and by his reaction I was certain that he had been right about us having a baby girl.  As I tipped the milk into the jar revealing the chocolate milk, my hands started shaking and around the room tears started flowing!  The week my grandpa passed away we told him we were expecting and he was certain it was a boy.  It was such an emotional and priceless moment that sharing it with family and friends is something I would recommend a thousand times over to any expectant parents!




No comments:

Post a Comment