Under Construction

Thursday, March 28, 2013

A Labor of Love

We have officially turned over the demolition to the professionals!  This is me kicking up my work boots and retiring my second pair of leather gloves since this project began two years ago.  Many hours were spent in this house at first trying to repair it to use as a summer home, then later to renovate to move into full time.  We have reached the point of no return now that the interior is stripped down to the studs and we are ready to rehab and partially rebuild to bring this modest 1930's shell of a home back to its former glory, with a modern, and hopefully much more energy efficient twist!

After only one day, three men, and a bobcat, this is what I drove up to see....
The entire west side of the house is gone!  Walking on the platform that once encompassed the kitchen and dining room I was ecstatic to be moving forward, but it also caused me to reflect for a moment.  I wondered about the dinner parties that were once held there and what life lessons were passed down in that kitchen.  I recalled the hours, days, and weeks I had spent with my own grandparents pulling down plaster, sanding cabinets, and pulling nails throughout this process. Stories were exchanged, frustrations and dreams were shared, and time was spent together because this house drew me across the miles from Florida to spend my spring breaks and summer vacations making it into a home.

People may think it seems crazy but the current condition of this house makes me indescribably happy.  Tanglewood is representative of who we are.  It sits on a firm foundation and old pieces are being taken apart and new additions are being added.  Though our house is undergoing some growing pains, it is a labor of love and we are looking forward to all of the new memories that will be created here.

No comments:

Post a Comment