Under Construction

Friday, March 29, 2013

Trash to Treasure at the Nut House

So I realize I have referred to our house as Tanglewood, but much like a family pet it seems to have several affectionate and not so affectionate pseudonyms!  One of my husbands favorite is "The Nut House!"  As I mentioned before, this house was a foreclosure and to date has been mostly unoccupied for 4 years now.  If this were a play this is the part where the lights come up and enter: squirrels...

These playful creatures have inhabited the house for an unknown amount of time and we have been given a hands-on lesson on the hibernation cycle (not to mention the bonus lesson that bats also prefer abandoned dark places!).  While pulling down plaster and a drop ceiling there were literally thousands of nuts falling on and at us!  Near the driveway is what we were told is a walnut tree and I stand firm on the fact that we had more nuts in our house than there were in the tree at any given time.

Often while working there, by myself I might add, I would hear the patter of scurrying feet above my head with each swing of the sledge hammer.  I kept a broom at arms length in the event that I would have to become a squirrel ninja `a la Chevy Chase in Christmas Vacation

So when my husband and I went there the other day to remove the last of our second hand furniture (originally intended and cheap cottage decor), we hauled it roadside and had an impromptu photo shoot of me kicking up my feet in front of the house (as seen in yesterday's post).  We were shaking our head as we removed the cushion of the faux leather chair only to find a fresh stash of nuts.  We giggled when we came back for our second trip and most of our furniture had already vanished.  Then we downright belly laughed when we saw that our neighbors had "new front porch stairs" and the chair had also walked off!  I guess one man's trash really is another man's treasure.  Enjoy your treasures from the Nut House and be sure to open up the coffee table and look under the cushions.  You never know what may be lurking in there!

No comments:

Post a Comment