Under Construction

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Temper Tantrum

The old proverb is that "patience is a virtue." Well sometimes I would like to throw my virtue out the window and throw myself on the floor kicking and screaming like I am three years old again.  I realize as a teacher that we encourage children to use their words and express what they are feeling, but I completely understand that sometimes they are so overcome they just want to yell, scream, cry, and act totally irrational because it make them feel better.

That's where I am at with this house right now.  For those keeping track, to date we have :

-owned the house for 2 years and 3 months
-lived at my parents house for 11 months
-DIY demolished for 4 months
-spent 9 months securing a loan
-blown through $ like it's water to sell our FL home and front the cost of permitting, demolition, dumpsters, counter tops, bamboo flooring and exterior doors. (Not to mention the quick trips to the store for garbage bags, leather gloves, work boots, hard core dust masks, 3 sawzalls, saline eye drops and lunches for our family who volunteered during our DIY portion of the demo).

I am officially penniless and pissed off!  It has taken us as long to finance our renovation as it takes most couples to have a baby!  My parents have been very gracious, but we need our own space with our own stuff and they need their house back!  I know this is an excessive amount of exclamation points but I don't care!

Ok, temper tantrum complete.  Deep yoga breath in... hold for a count of 5... exhale...

Looking at our house pictures from last week you will see that quite a bit has been accomplished in a short amount of time.  We have new walls (interior and exterior), a new garage, and a shingled roof.  When the crew is working we move quickly, when they go off on another project, we wait (insert sound of crickets chirping).

After waiting three business days we are scheduled to have movement at our house today, but we are realizing the importance of having every line item clearly spelled out.  Apparently electrical bids essentially include electrical outlets every 12 feet, gfi outlets anywhere near water (sinks and exterior), and a single junction box for a light in every room.  Insulation is the standard rolled kind I remember as a kid with the pink panther on the side.  Plumbing quotes cover a standard four piece bath with a toilet, sink, and shower/tub combo.  EVERYTHING ELSE is an upcharge.  I tell you this because as I mentioned at the beginning we are blowing through money the way Hollywood blows through coke!  Please do not follow my lead on this and stick to the Boy Scout's motto,  "always be prepared!"

Damn you HGTV and Pinterest!  My obsession with recessed can lighting, a walk in shower,spray foam insulation, and quartz counters is going to leave me setting up a tent in my unfinished garage.  Looks like a summer full of beach days, biking, and hiking which are all free and probably a lot better for me than throwing my almost 31 year old body onto the floor, since I'm not entirely sure I would be able to rise again on my own accord...


No comments:

Post a Comment