Under Construction

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Pathways to Parenthood

Parenting is a tricky business of trial and error.  While numerous books, websites, and other publications exist claiming to have all the answers there is simply no boilerplate that works in every instance.  The same is true for becoming a parent or parental figure.  Two people may conceive and have a child together, there is conception through artificial insemination or surrogacy, children gained through marriage, guardianship, adoption, and fostering.  These pathways to parenthood are vastly different yet they all lead to the same triumphs and tribulations of being the responsible party for children 0 to 18 years old.

Since some of these routes are considered non traditional, it can get tricky for family and friends to know how to properly welcome children into their new home.  Babies are thrown showers, but what about toddlers?  Do older kids and teenagers of divorced or deceased parents want to be adopted or just accepted?  Are traditional titles doled out when a family takes on the guardianship of their teenage son or daughters baby or are they mom or dad instead of grandpa and grandma?  How does and open adoption impact a family dynamic? So many questions and opinions, yet each situation has unique circumstances and requires a customized approach.

My own family has recently pondered the appropriate response to welcoming the addition of a foster child.  While the child is a baby, at this point there is no guarantee of permanent placement unless the option for adoption becomes a possibility.  This brought about the question of a baby shower.  This is technically the first baby and is being cared for and loved as if he were their own, yet the long term care is yet to be determined.  Trying to remain in neutral territory and show my support for the new parents without creating false hope I put my thinking cap on. 

I recalled a volunteer group I was a part of painting customized suitcases for foster children so they always had something of their own to take with them no matter where they were placed.  Through this program it was heart wrenching to learn that many children that are shuffled through the foster care system leave favorite toys and teddy bears behind and show up to their new placements with only their clothes in a garbage sack.  This sparked an idea that my family could show our support by presenting the baby with his own suitcase full of treasures that would belong to him no matter what the future holds.  I sent out a Facebook invitation for what became known as a "Suitcase Shower."

Suitcase Shower
This is my suitcase shower,
There's no date to attend.
You ask me why a suitcase,
And I ask you where I'll live?
My birth mom may get better and come get me one day,
Or love me enough to let me go and forever here I'll stay.
But just like any child, there are certain things I love,
Like books and fuzzy blankets and a teddy bear to snuggle up.
So if you find it in your heart to grant this small request,
Please put a token of love in my suitcase
So no matter where I go I'll know I am blessed.
~ Paige Caligiuri
 
 
 
Family and friends responded generously and reached out to place a small token of love in this child's suitcase which was presented yesterday.  The foster parents appreciated the gesture of support that validated their role as parents in this child's life and accepted him into our family no matter what the outcome.  Today as families everywhere celebrate Father's Day I hope that we remember to celebrate all father figures no matter how that role came to be and we recall with fond memories the time we have shared past and present with the male role models in our own lives!

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting post. I haven't thought much about this type of situation. It seems everyone involved has it rough. Of course I feel for the kids. But, this has to be really difficult for the foster parents as well. I can't imagine a child being taken from my family after living as my own for a long time. I need more information on this topic. Great suitcase idea! Everyone likes to have something to call their own. This post helps me reflect on how much I have to be thankful for throughout my childhood. Some kids really have it rough. I like to remind myself about this fact when I teach elementary school students. Us teachers might be the only positive role models they have in their life. I can always tell who has a lot of negativity in their home at the end of the year. We talk about all of the fun we will be having over summer break. I am amazed at how many students are actually bummed that there won't be school for two months. What could be going on at home to make this kid actually dread summer vacation? I don't know what any of this has to do with the blog I just read. I'm just pretending that I have my own blog right now. I also really love beef jerky and sushi. I don't have a facebook account, and I recently started cutting my own hair. Really looking forward to seeing you guys in Saugatuck. BWB

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that some kids have heartbreaking circumstances and it's sad that they would rather be confined to the walls of a classroom than home during a break because for them school is their break from their real life.

    On a less serious side note, I too enjoy beef jerky, especially spicy bbq and I am just beginning to explore the world of raw fish. Facebook is highly overrated and I am jealous that I can't cut my own hair, as I did try to cut my bangs once and botched them so badly I had to call in to work to go and have them fixed at a salon! So much for saving money. See you guys next week:)

    ReplyDelete