Under Construction

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Facebook/Fakebook (Why Can't We All Get Along?)

I have a love/hate relationship with Facebook that is comparable to Taylor Swift's love life.  The big difference is I love it, then hate it, but I don't write songs about it. Although blogging about it seems to put me precariously close to that category!
Can't we all just get along?

When I first joined  few years ago it was to see what all the buzz was about. I had rushed out of my home state after college graduation like my hair was on fire, and it seemed like a great avenue to stay in touch with the people I had left behind. What I never accounted for was the staggering amount of friend requests I received my first few weeks of being on there.  People I barely knew, hardly remembered, and had admittedly forgotten about suddenly wanted to be friends in this virtual rainbow filled world where everyone rides unicorns and the sun shines out their rear ends!

I will be the first to admit that I secretly enjoyed the cyber stalking of old classmates and acquaintances to see where they were at, what they were doing, and how their lives had turned out so far.  This short lived fascination however quickly fizzled when I realized most of us simply had similar versions of the same story.

This realization did not deter me from continuing to not only remain a member of this online organization, but I actively and willingly participated (and still do) in posting comments, pictures, even a few soapbox issues in my early days of joining.  It has served as a phenomenal platform for communication with several people I did or may have otherwise lost touch with who fall into that I really like and respect you, but we are friends of convenience, i.e. coworkers, fellow organization members, neighbors, distant relatives, old classmates, etc, and we would otherwise inevitably faded into the background of each other's past.

So why the hate you ask?  Well beyond the minor irritations of seeing how many times a day someone has plowed their nonexistent field, named that tune, or passed go without collecting their 200,000 coins, let's talk about politics, religion, and sexual preference.  Oh snap!  She just went there! 

Bottom line: I HATE READING THIS ON FACEBOOK!!!!!!  Ok, I'm done yelling.  It's just that I've gotten to the point where I block people's status updates because I'm too um.... sensitive to tell them that I don't want to read 100 posts a day about God's love for me (a little goes a long way!); I respect your stance on being pro-life, but then please at least consider the impact of your choices when having multiple children you cannot afford; stop trying to define love and live and let live; if you are not happy with the politics of this country then find ways to become more involved on a local, state or national level, or better yet: move!

Now on to safer ground...the "real life" status updates.  I don't understand how so many love birds post pics of their vacations, flower arrangements, and fun filled family weekends, then you run into them in person and find out they are splitsville?  And ladies, 1999 called and they want the MySpace pics back.  You know the ones I'm talking about, the one taken from a high angle in the bathroom mirror variety.  Photos should not be allowed in the same room where you're taking care of business if you catch my drift and if we're friends on Facebook chances are if you aren't 30 yet, you're damn close, so enough!  Oh, and you checked in at the grocery store, again to grab a cup of joe, then you went to a movie?  Watch out Frank the Tank, these people have a busier life than you do!  And finally, how many of us actually have 1,000 + friends?  I would love to get 1,000 + likes on this blog, but after this post I may be down to two (thanks J and mom!).  For real!



So until a better option comes along I will continue my rocky road with Facebook.  It's been a great tool for blogging, getting word out about my business, and keeping in touch with those who don't clutter my newsfeed with their reality show worthy rants and instead post cute photos of their kids, dogs, vacations, etc and in their updates they follow mom's advice: If you don't have anything nice (*or intelligent) to say...

No comments:

Post a Comment